Friday, March 5, 2010

Day 54: Une bêtise / Monkey business

So I am quite tired, probably because of my busy week and all my "adventures"
...donc...
I am going to just give some bullets about my day so I can go to sleep but so I can have blogged as well (I know that phrase sounds funny but whatever!).
  1. Handed in my forms for my visa to my program's assistant. She is mailing/faxing everyone's forms to OFII (France's Office of Immigration & Integration).
  2. Class at 11am until 12:30pm. Lit. Did a visualisation about our first memory of France. Mine was waiting for my suitcase at Charles de Gaulle airport.
  3. After that, lunch was good. I've gotten much better at buying groceries for lunch, aka I try to no longer purchase junk food. I understand why French people are skinny - it's cheaper to eat healthier. I can get enough lettuce to last me a week's worths of salads at lunch for 1 Euro. I can get 2 clementines and an apple for just over 1 Euro. How delicious and nutritious is that?!?!
  4. Relaxed a little - watched some tv on my computer while having cookies and milk! (I bought milk here - it's the first time I've consistently had milk since being in France. I really missed it!)
  5. Had my University class. The projector/computer connection wasn't working so it was harder to follow what was going on. Normally when I don't know a vocab word I can figure it out from looking at the painting. Learned a new word - coquillage: sea shell, and specific type of coquillage is a nautil or nautilus shell!...but didn't know what it was until after I returned home from class and looked it up.
  6. We ate a late dinner. Claudie has been busy working on the "program" (booklet/schedule/descriptions) for the Festival d'Avignon in July. She said there are over 900 productions/performances! She has been putting in pictures, etc. A very long, complicated process.
  7. We had poisson rougé, which literally means "red fish," for dinner as well as a pasta, spinach, salmon cube combo. To top it off, she had bought pre-made chocolate crêpes for dessert! She heated the crêpes in the high-tech toaster oven, and we ate them with our petits tasses (tiny mugs) of coffee.
À demain.

PS: Une bêtise is my new favorite french word which literally means monkey business (well at least according to "wordreference.com"). I asked Claudie what it meant and she basically described it as "foolishness" or a "joke" and used an example of little kids doing something ridiculous. She asked me what the word was in english and I told her "monkey business." She then re-translated that phrase to "singe d'occupation" or something like that. She said they have the same phrase in French! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment