Sunday, March 14, 2010

Day 62 & 63: Le week-end/The weekend


Friday
Art History class - Mirel presented and did an amazing job. The professor ate it up. We got back our exams and the professor told us she was changing the style of the class because had all done so well. We can no longer go without speaking...we have to share our thoughts and knowledge. We looked at some paintings by Courbet. The image I input on today's entry is a picture I then saw later (as a print) at the movie theater! :-)

So then, the day passed uneventfully. We wandered around and did a little window shopping. I picked up the art history book I had ordered from the FNAC (the french version of Barnes&Nobles plus Best Buy) for my university class.

After that, I picked up my stuff from the Institute and went home. I was about to head out to meet up with some friends at 6pm. I told Claudie I was heading out and she said that we would be eating earlier than normal because she wanted to go out to see a movie. She invited me to go see the movie with her - Ghost Writer - and I accepted, of course! So, I returned home at 7 to eat dinner: some vegetable (I don't remember) and potatoes à gratin.

At dinner, I told Claudie that I was going on an excursion tomorrow to Saint Remy and Les Baux de Provence. She told me that the wind is very strong because the village, Les Baux, is very high up, but that never the less, it is very beautiful.

We went to the movie at the Utopia theater (République), which is where I saw the reprint of the Courbet painting just hanging on the wall like no big deal. It was cool to be able to recognize what I was looking at! I felt special.

So we watched the movie. Because it's at Utopia (they show foreign films in their original language with French subtitles), the film was in English. Even though it was in English, I don't think I really understood how it fit together. It was too simple a story for me for my interpretation to be the correct one. Therefore, I will have to rewatch it with someone when I come back to the States and have them explain it to me.

Saturday
Got up this morning and got on the bus to go to St. Remy/Les Baux. It is only about 45 minutes away, which was quite a change from what I was expecting.

First we went to St. Remy. There are what are called "Les Antiques" - aka the ruins from Antiquity aka the Romans. We ancient arch ways that marked the Roman conquering of the city. Then we went and saw an asylum where Van Gogh had been for a part of his life and saw some of the views that inspired quite a few of his paintings.

After that, we left to go to Les Baux. We got lunch. Though we all broke off into smaller groups, 12 of the 14 students ended up at the same restaurant. I got a ratatouille crepe, split a bruschetta, and had fondant au chocolat (a chocolate cupcake-esque cylinder with hot fudge "filling" in the middle!).

Then we went to the "chateau". More like a castle built into the cliffs. At first, it was hard to tell that it was even a castle, it blended in so well with the rest of the cliffs. We got lots of beautiful pictures. The wind was crazy blowing - it was unbelievable! We left there a little early, thus getting home to Avignon a little early.

I got home and skyped with my mom and then met up with my friends at the grocery store to get food for our meal we were making at Alaska's. The food was delicious and we had lots of leftovers. We will be going back over tomorrow for lunch to finish them off.

Good night!
Bisous!


No comments:

Post a Comment