Sunday, January 24, 2010

Day 15: Dimanche, le jour du repos/ Sunday, the day of rest

Got up this morning after my Salsa Soirée last night in time to go to the 10:30 church service at the Protestant church on the Rue de la Republique near the tourist info office is located. The service was all in french (I hope that was obvious). It wasn't a typical service, as there was a baptism taking place so more people were there and the service was structured differently. Everyone there seemed very welcome to having American students coming to their church. They were all really friendly and curious to talk to us, find out who we were, where the Institute was, etc. Next week, the service will be cut short because there is a meeting after it or I guess during it. There is another church outside the city walls that some of the students are going to attend next week to see what it is like. There is already one student who goes there, so we are probably going to try to go with him next week.

After church, we went to Carrefour to get some food for lunch, since we figured most places would be closing soon because it's Sunday and there are still "blue laws" in place. I got a block of cheese, a baguette, cranberry granola bars, and a mini apple crisp for desert. We each went our separate ways home, where I ate my cheese block while watching "Le Destin de Lisa" - a show in French which reminds me a lot of "Ugly Betty" in the U.S.

Claudie returned home today. At first I didn't know where she had gone, but from what I can gather at dinner she was away for some theater performance or theater festival is the south west of France. She returned home today around 5pm-ish.

I keep chuggin' along (like the children's book, The Little Engine that Could) trying to speak more French each day, though it continues to be an uphill battle. I'm sure it will eventually click, it just is taking a little more time than I would like!

Shout outs to everyone I got to Skype with today - Celine, 1st Floor Warians, and my Mom & Dad. It was great talking to all of you, and I hope you all have a great week!

À bientôt.

No comments:

Post a Comment