Monday, January 11, 2010

Day 2: J'ai fais le tour d'Avignon!

Today was my Orientation. I arrived at the Institute a little before 9am after trekking delicately over the ice and snow in the roads and sidewalks.

I took a shower this morning and was prepared to wear my hat outside over my wet hair, but my host mom insisted that the hat was not enough. She explained to me that I had to dry it or I would get sick, so she lent me her blow dryer.

I learned all about safety in Avignon - where is safe to go when, how to "verbally defend" yourself, etc. I got "un dossier" with all my information about classes, schedules, weekend trips, a planner, where to go to church if I want, etc. Also - most important for me - I received a map of Avignon. I had already explained to my host mom that I am easily disoriented and she had given me map this morning for walking to the Institute.

After, we had free time to go buy a phone only a few minutes away on the nearby La Rue de la République which is the main drag with all the stores, pharmacies, and restaurants. I now have a working, fully charged (the battery and with Euros) French cell phone!

We returned to the Institute in time for lunch at 12h30 and went to a nearby restaurant/café called "Pizzeria Entre-Nous". I had salad, ham pizza, and creme brulée. After today, I will have to buy my own lunches during the school week, so I was sure to cherish this free and delicious meal.

After that, we returned the Institute to leave our belongings and then left for the tour of Avignon. Because of the weather we've been having (very cold after much snow) the roads and sidewalks are very slippery and dangerous. I fell twice on our walk but was certainly not the only one slipping and sliding! We saw the Palais des Papes, the super market, l'Université d'Avignon, and other key important places like the post office, the tourist info office, and the international movie theater.

We returned to the Institute and we had to wait for the Computer Tech to finish installing the printer driver on our laptops so that we could connect to and print on the Institute's wireless printer.

I had planned to go to the super market, the pharmacy, and the electronics store after our tour but I was so tired after strategically walking on the ice covered streets for over an hour that I decided to just do those things tomorrow after my class.

I have only one class tomorrow from 11h-12h30. Therefore, I will have time to run my errands after class. I am allowed to switch classes, but I think I like all the ones that I have signed up for. My class at the Université d'Avignon does not start until February. I will meet individually with the director to discuss this class.

À demain.

-Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment