Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Day 17: Un peu en retard / A little late

So I am writing this on Wednesday morning (well I guess actually afternoon because it's 12:04pm) about yesterday's adventures. I was quite busy and quite occupied so didn't get a chance to write about my day.

Yesterday, like my typical Tuesdays, I only had one class - Literature. We talked about an author, George Perec. We are reading one of his books. He is part of a literary group/movement, L'OuLiPo. The group follows the idea that with each new work they put a new constraint or rule to follow on what they are writing. For example, Perec wrote an entire book without using the letter "e". Try writing a sentence - even in English - without using the letter "e". It is very hard. Any way, this reminded me of an episode of Gilmore Girls, "You Jump, I Jump, Jack," where the Life and Death Brigade has an event and a group of people at the gathering are talking, avoiding using words with the letter "e". I wonder if the episode was inspired by this book?

After that, I sat down to write my first legit paper in french about the state of France in 1945, right after la Deuxieme Guerre mondiale (WWII). -- Basically a state of disaster. -- Then I read my packet for Poli-Sci about the initial influences and start of the European Union.

Then I went and talked to the Activity Director (among the many other things she does) about joining a club, volunteer, or other type of activity. This evening another girl in my program and I are trying the choir that she found for us. Supposedly they sing songs in english - example, Stevie Wonder -and french. We have to take the bus to get there and then she told us that someone could drive us back inside the walls. The rehearsal is from 18h30 to 20h. So, I will have to be a little late for dinner. Told Claudie and Michel this morning and they said that it's not a problem.

Last night for dinner we had some meal that was similar to ratatouille supposedly, but I don't remember what it was called. Her food is always so delicious! That's all that really matters to me.

After that, she had a practice/class for something, so she left, but I watched (Michel joined for the end) Benjamin Gates et le Trésor des Templiers (National Treasure I). After the movie ended, an investigation on the dangers of the road with drunk drivers and more people driving under the influence of marijuana came on, which we watched for a little while. Then Claudie returned with a DVD of her most recent show that she directed by a lesser known French playwright who wrote around the same time as Moliere.

Then it was off to bed. Right as I was going to bed, it started snowing. Michel pointed it out. He seemed very excited, but he was also very glad that it seemed to be melting on the patio. Needless to say, there was no snow on the ground this morning, just some on cars.

It has been great Skyping, Facebooking, and emailing with people. I am happy that I am able to keep in touch even thousands of miles away!

À ce soir (quand je vais écrire d'aujourd'hui!)

No comments:

Post a Comment