Saturday, January 16, 2010

Day 7: Le week-end premier

This morning started my first weekend in France! In about 6 hours, I will have been here for exactly a week! I still can't believe it. I'm in France?!?

I watched Sherlock Holmes last night with my host mom. I think it was the equivalent of the PBS version in the US. It was fun. She dislikes commercials (les publicités), though they are very infrequent in France. She remarked about how in the US we have them on all channels.

I got up this morning, had my morning breakfast of a piece of fruit - today a banana. She told me a couple days ago that she noticed I liked the bananas and had bought more for me. Quite perceptive indeed, as I do in fact love bananas! After breakfast, I did some homework. Then I wasn't really sure what time my host mom was leaving (she had told me she was going to a performance of one of her dance teachers), but I had heard her go out. I planned a route to walk (which I didn't end up following) and left. Right as I was leaving, she came in from taking the dog for a walk. She told me she would be leaving at 13h (1pm) and then she would see me tonight. ... Or at least that's what I thought she said.

I went out on my little adventure, going a way I don't normally, and stumbled upon a little fountain right near my house. I posted the "video" above. If you listen/put your volume way up, you can hear the water "trinkling" a little bit. I continued walking (already off my planned route because I missed a turn somewhere) until I found somewhere familiar. I made my way to the Palais des Papes, which is now pretty much clear of snow and ice. Behind the Palais des Papes is the Rocher des Doms, which is a large garden with great views of Avignon, statues, and little fountains. I walked all around in there. It was fantastic, and I got some great pictures, which are the photos that I included with this entry. I had a great time walking all around the gardens, taking photos at every corner. This was definitely a great recommendation on the part of my host mom of a good place to check out in Avignon.


I walked back on a road that connected to the Rue de la Republique. Already at this point, if you get me on the Rue de la Republique, I can figure out how to get quite a few places - home, the Institute, the grocery store, the book/electronics store, the post office, etc. While here, I bought lunch - a pre-made sandwich from the grocery store, chopped walnuts, and "crème café". Then I went across the street and bought my first "pain au chocolat" which is like croissant with chocolate inside. Not chocolate filling, instead "strips" of chocolate. I don't know how else to describe it, but it was delicious and it was only a euro!

I returned home at 13h30, and my host mom was still here, which I wasn't expecting. Apparently in addition to my usual inability to find my way around places, apparently I also don't do well with doors/locks/keys in France. Right as you enter the "house level" (the theater is below), there are doors on either side. I thought she had already left, and heard the dog bark when I opened the main door to get into the house. So, I went to open the door to where the dog was (which is usually open), but couldn't get it to open, so I turned the key to open it. ... Well apparently it was already open and apparently I'm never - Jamais! - supposed to use the key. I heard her come over on the other side, and after I managed to unlock/open the door, she gave me a lesson on how to open it.

This very last picture, you can't really make it out, but the mountain right there was surrounded by clouds at the top and was really great/cool to look at. It reminded me of something I saw/would see in Alaska, but instead, I'm in France!

To all of those reading this who are doing a study abroad this semester and haven't left yet, I wish you safe travels. For those of you who are already abroad, I hope you're having tons of fun!

À bientot!

No comments:

Post a Comment