Monday, January 18, 2010

Day 9: Le commencement de la deuxieme semaine / The start of the 2nd week

Last night, my host dad returned from Togo. His flight had been delayed. He flew from Togo to Morocco, and from Morocco to Marseille. His flight from Togo to Morocco was the part that was delayed. Apparently that airline is just unreliable, and always delays/cancels flights for no apparent reason.

The whole house seemed to light up when he returned. I think the dog (Woody) and my host mom (Claudie) were equally happy to see him, though Woody jumped around a lot more! We ate ratatouille for dinner, which I've decided is my new favorite meal. I don't think up until last night I had a favorite meal - maybe ham and Mac 'n' cheese. But ratatouille is DELICIOUS! For those of you who don't know, it is a traditional Southern France dish that contains all kinds of vegetables - eggplant, peppers, zucchini, tomatoes, etc. - steamed in a pot of their own juices (no water added), with cloves of garlic added.

I woke up this morning to the sun shining in my window! What a great way to start my morning! This morning started the second week of classes here at the Institute.

This is actually my first Monday of classes. I had history and political science. I will have to adjust my note taking style to these courses/professors. My notes for history today were a bit of abstract/modern art with arrows and lines everywhere connecting ideas. I think that it must be possible that thinking (especially in another language) makes you tired. I would say that these two classes are the ones that take the most out of me because they require the most concentration to follow what is going on.

After speaking with a student who was here last semester, I feel much reassured about taking a course at the local university. She told me about what types of course I should take, the types of work I can anticipate, and the typical teaching style of professors.

For dinner we had an omelette with some kind of meat in it. Whatever it was, it was delicious! Then we had ratatouille over pasta, which was again, very delicious! We put shredded cheese on it. My host dad then asked if I liked cheese, even really strong smelling cheese, which he explained to me using hand gestures to block his nose, etc. I told him I liked all types of cheese. Then Claudie and Michelle talked about how there is this really good cheese in the fridge, but we've been too full to eat it, so they were discussing how to work it into the meal, and what to cut out of the meal to fit in the cheese so that we weren't too full.

The dark chocolate covered cranberries that I brought as a gift are definitely a hot commodity around the house. Claudie and Michelle both devour them - they love them!

À bientôt!

-Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment