Sunday, January 17, 2010

Day 8: Plus d'un semaine en Avignon!/More than a week in Avignon!

Last night, some friends from the Institute and I went to a jazz club (une boite de jazz) called Délirium with students from the Université d'Avignon. Last night was the Russian New Year, so it was not a typical night - there was "Russian music" instead of jazz. It was tons of fun to meet french students from the local university (where I will be taking classes in a couple weeks!).

Then got up this morning, chatted with my host mom for a few minutes, did some homework, then went out for lunch with friends. Because it's a Sunday in France, nothing is open. They still have the blue laws, so most shops and restaurants are closed all day Sunday. We finally found a little café/sandwich shop where I tried a quiche provençale - I have no idea what was in it. Being abroad, I am all about trying new foods, etc., even if I have no idea what it is. The quiche was very good, whatever it was!

After that, we continued wandering, on a mission to try different places and discover other options of places to eat/get coffee. We stopped on the Rue de la Republique where we got some pain au chocolat and then continued down the road to a café/bar called "L'Américain," where I got a noisette. Last night, in my now ongoing effort to try new things and having no idea what it was (besides some type of coffee), I ordered a "café allongé." I have now discovered that this is watered down, or what many Europeans consider to be "American," coffee. (The picture above is of my "noisette." And yes, I took a picture.)

My host dad arrives today from Togo. Apparently his plane was delayed so he will be coming in later than anticipated. My host mom, Claudie, made ratatouille (which is one of his favorite meals), for dinner tonight.

In going through my pictures from other days, I found the video I took of the "falling lights" that hang from the trees, which I have posted here.


À bientôt!

No comments:

Post a Comment