Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Le 100ieme jour: Je ne sais pas comment te dire. / I don't know how to tell you.

Je ne sais pas comment te dire. / I don't know how to tell you. - a line out of a French Canadian song I have on my computer.


Je suis arrivée en Avignon il y a 99 jours. C'est incroyable!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I arrived in Avignon 99 days ago. That's just unbelievable!

Today was my last Wednesday of classes. It's really bizarre/exciting/confusing to think about that. It's just crazy! I find it hard to believe. I can't even believe that I've been here almost 4 months. I recently emailed with the Dean of International Studies about the Fulbright Fellowship. I'm hoping to come back to France or somewhere in "le monde francophone" at some point after F&M.

As everyday passes, my mind is becoming more mélangé (mixed/jumbled). It's such a bittersweet ending. As my family was unable to come due to the Iceland volcano explosion (Life Lesson: Nature wins over man and there is not a thing you can do about it.), I am missing them especially because of my anticipation/excitement about them visiting. However, at the same time, I am sad to leave Claudie, Michel, and Woody, and the lifestyle to which I have become so accustomed to in France (fresh food, laid back "speed", direct-ness, being 'cultured', etc.). After being here for almost 4 months, it is hard to picture myself back in the States.

Today, I had Art History, History, and Poli Sci. Qu'est-ce qui s'est passée? Franchement, rien de tout. (What happened in my classes? Frankly, not too much.)

Came home after class, sat in my room with my window open, listening to the bells ring at the nearby church in Place St Didier, enjoying every minute of this life, this weather, and this tranquility. Tout de suite, everything will change. Je vous jure.

For dinner, we had an omelet to start and then last night's taboulé (which is "cracked wheat" - I actually think it's quinoa - with vegetables, served cold or hot, whichever you like) mixed with ratatouille. "Yum num num!" as Michel would say.

After that we watched on tv "Les racines et les ailes" (Roots and Wings), a show that talks about places around France. Tonight's was about preserving different historical monuments and getting young people involved in preserving the "patrimony" of France. The archaeologist part of me was freaking out because they weren't preserving the monuments, but instead restoring and rebuilding them. This freaked me out a little.

Then Claudie put on a performance she had recorded on the DVR called the Trial of Ceznac, based on a real historical event. However, it reminded me more of the show, "Edwin Drood" where you pick the ending. People were invited to text, call, or submit their votes of whether or not he was guilty.

À demain. ... oh wait, it is "demain"! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment